Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pedagogy Forum, Week 6

Discussions on the difficulties concerning the public school system and how such difficulties stem from a certain lack of freedom from the teacher’s perspective made me think of how a lot could be learned to instill nuanced ways of teaching. By facilitating small changes in the classroom to introduce a more discursive means of communicating with students, one could then promote teaching styles and projects beyond the norm and perhaps encourage further change in the system. I think poetry among other subjects could be a perfect venue for such discursive attributes as writing poetry is in and of itself discursive in its processes. Poetry is an act of refamiliarizing oneself to the everyday, creating an uncanny point of view to a subject, object, or any other means of interpreting and sensing the world around us. One’s ability to hone such refamiliarization can and does open avenues for deeper learning and understanding that can be applied to the way we develop our education and what we do with such knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more, and I am trying very hard to do just that. This class has been very helpful, both in my teaching and in my writing.

    I have spent many moments wondering what might have happend to me, if I had been introduced to creative writing as a means for composing critical writing earlier in my life, I am still grateful for any improvement, but I think that those who are introduced early to this exceptional way of teaching writing, reap huge benefits. So since I did not get the opportunity in high school or even undergraduate studies, I have vowed to try to pay this forward. We will se how it all works out.

    ReplyDelete