Monday, September 13, 2010

Improv, Week 4

Poem: “My Father’s Back” by Edward Hirsch

There's an early memory that I carry around
In my mind
like an old photography in my wallet,
little graying and faded, a picture
That I don't much like
but nonetheless keep,
Fingering it now and then like a sore tooth,
Knowing it there,
not needing to see it anymore....

The sun slants down on the shingled roof.
The wind breathes in the needled pines.
And I am lying in the grass on my third birthday,
Red-faced and watchful
but not squalling yet,
Not yet rashed or hived up
from eating the wrong food
Or touching the wrong plant,
my father's leaving.

A moment before he was holding me up
Like a new trophy, and I was a toddler
With my face in the clouds,
spinning arund
With a head full of stars,
getting so dizzy.
A moment before I was squealing with joy
In the tilt-a-whirl of his arms,
Drifting asleep in the cavern of his chest....

I remember waking up to the twin peaks
Of his shoulders moving away, a shirt clinging
To his massive body,
a mountain receding.
I remember the giant distance between us:
A drop or two rain, a sheen on the lawn,
And then I was sitting up
in the grainy half-light
Of a man walking away from his family.

I don't know why we go over the old hurts
Again and again in our minds, the false starts
And true beginnings
of a world we call the past,
As if it could tell us who we are now,
Or were, or might have been....
It's drizzling.
A car door slams, just once, and he's gone.
Tiny pools of water glisten on the street.



Revision:
There’s a photograph I keep, little known illusion of what was. Remembering that chimera of my family standing together like the paper dolls I used to cut out of stationary paper, bits of our address still peeking out from their feet. The photo fades each time I hold it. I never liked how we smiled anyway. It was my birthday then. You could see the towered cake in the back and Spike the Boston Terrier trying to escape from my sister’s grasp. My mother was never photogenic, her eyes always droop at the sight of a camera. Looking back at how my father could never look at us straight in the eye, his back always turned from us. He left soon after this picture was taken. We knew his back was always turned at us, at our mother. I still keep the picture and remember how to never have my back turned, nor my eyes averted from my reflection.

1 comment:

  1. Randie,
    This draft owns a great deal of valuable language that I think you can gather for an even tighter revision. Some of the best, most interesting lines in the draft are: my family standing together like paper dolls, looking back, my father could never look us straight in the eye, Spike, the Boston Terrier, trying to escape my sister’s grasp, her eyes always droop at the sight of a camera, etc. I think that these lines are great and you could even condense them a little bit further. For example, “Remembering that chimera of my family standing together like the paper dolls I used to cut out of stationary paper, bits of our address still peeking out from their feet.” This is a huge sentence! What about: In the photo, my family stands together like a chair of paper dolls. I like the part about the address peeking out from under their feet, but I really think that may not fit. I like the idea of a chain of paper dolls, because it seems this family is connected (like all families), but brittle and easy to tear. Another suggestion for condensing would be for the line: Looking back at how my father could never look us straight in the eye, his back always turned from us. You have look twice in the line. You could have thinking back or just leave it out all together, because it is understood that the speaker is looking back by the sheer act of viewing an old photo. What if it where something like, My father never could look us in the eye, his back always turned from us in every memory. Great possibilities here.

    ReplyDelete